Sunday 2 February 2014

50 days Vegetarian


As you know, I live a healthy, well balanced life style. February 3rd marks 50 days of my vegetarianism. I just wanted to update you all on my results!
The reason I stopped eating meat was simply because it didn’t work well with my stomach. During the months prior, I would get stomach pains after lunch and dinner if I ate meat. I would get aches and feel bloated, and I did not like the feeling.
I currently attend university where I live on residence, so I have a meal plan. Since September I have always kept fresh fruit and yogurt stocked in my fridge along with whole grain bread, oatmeal, nuts, granola, etc. But I would usually eat lunch and dinners in the dining hall. Don’t get me wrong, they do have healthy options, but seeing all the unhealthy things took its toll on me. I would indulge in quesadillas, cheese pizza, chicken, shepherd’s pie, pasta, etc. Now, I never gained much weight from this, and I am not complaining. I am simply telling you my story.
I also would go to the gym about four times a week. By early December, I remember looking at my stomach in the mirror and seeing abs, but also seeing a little pouch on my tummy. I thought that my workout habits weren’t working and I got frustrated. I continued going to the gym regularly, not realizing that going to the gym is irrelevant if I wasn’t eating properly.
Sure, I always had healthy breakfasts and snacks, but I also ate unhealthy meals in my dining hall, and didn’t hesitate for desserts either.
So on December 16th, I decided I was going to try to cut out meats for a week, 1. As a challenge to myself, and 2. To see if the stomach pains went away. Sure enough, after 7 days, my stomach was not hurting after dinners anymore.
During the Christmas break, and once I returned to school, I not only continued this vegetarian lifestyle, but there are still unhealthy things vegetarians can eat. So I changed my diet all together to mainly plant based and nutritious foods that would fuel my body rather than harm it.
Today, I feel much better about myself. I haven’t gone to the gym since before Christmas, but I do try to do mini workouts 1-2 times a week. You don’t need to go to the gym 5 times a week to be fit, which I have now learned. Personally, I feel great, and I love that I made this switch to a healthy and better life.


No comments:

Post a Comment